It's okay to be an overthinker: but you shouldn't overthink
Every coin has two sides
You read that right. Being an overthinker is usually a curse, but you can also turn it into a blessing, a superpower.
Don’t believe me?
Well, let me explain: what is bad about being an overthinker? That’s right, the overthinking: It brings you unhappiness, procrastination and stagnation.
But on the other hand, if you can be an overthinker without overthinking, what are you left with? Only the good things about you that made you an overthinker in the first place!
What makes you an overthinker?
Tendencies towards overthinking have been linked to multiple positive personality traits:
- Creativity: According to an opinion paper by “Trends in Cognitive Sciences”, high neuroticism (which can present, among other things, as overthinking) is linked to areas in the brain responsible for “self-generated thought”, threat perception and creativity.
This makes sense: people who overthink have a vivid and creative imagination which allows them to envision many scenarios in their head or come up with possibilities.
- Caution: One of the main reasons why we overthink is because we are overly cautious about the future and our decisions. This is actually good if you can find a healthy balance between overthinking and underthinking.
- Problem-solving: From personal experience, I can say that when you overthink, it usually has to do with trying to solve a problem. If for example you overthink past decisions, you are trying to solve past problems.
- Introspection and critical thinking: We overthinkers are very good at examining ourselves and our decision-making because we spend so much time analyzing in our head and thinking critically about ourselves, others and the world.
- Obsession and tenacity: If you overthink, you are tenacious, maybe even downright obsessive. And if you are able to harbor obsession and be tenacious, that is a superpower which can change your whole life. Find a way to embrace your tenacity and obsessiveness without being bogged down by overthinking.
Superpower: being an overthinker
As you can see, you shouldn’t feel bad about being an overthinker. After all, it also means you are a very creative, tenacious, cautious and capable person.
What should you do instead? Embrace your positive personality traits by finding a balance between overthinking and underthinking. I know this is easier said than done. Which is why I will write an amazing eBook course about it in the future.
I want to show you how you can find balance between too little and too much overthinking.
Until then, I will write more blog posts about this topic, so stay tuned and subscribe to our e-mail newsletter for updates.
We have also started a kind and supportive community on Discord for people like you and me struggling with life and the world. After all, together we are stronger, and we need to find strength so we can all change our future and reach our dreams.
So, why not join us?